X Toggle High Contrast Mode
S Skip to Main Content
1 Home Page
3 Site Map
9 Contact Us
0 Access Keys
Kent Association for the Blind

HA Banner


People are often confused about the names and roles of professional medical practitioners. To help clarify things, here's a brief description of the role of the various professionals involved in eye care, both in the community and in hospitals.

KAB ECLO Service

KAB has Eye Clinic Liaison Officers (ECLOs) working in the Ophthalmic Departments of hospitals across Kent, Bromley and Bexley. Fran Smith is based at Maidstone Hospital, Scott Jones will be based at the Kent and Canterbury and William Harvey hospitals from 5th June 2017, and Chris Wilsdon is based at the Princess Royal University Hospital and the Queen Mary Hospital. The ECLOs are there for emotional support, for information about eye conditions and for advice on the services available to people with sight impairments. This may include information about the registration process, benefits and concessions and local services. Most importantly the ECLOs are on hand to spend time with you and talk through any concerns you might have.

The ECLOs welcome calls or e-mails from anyone who is worried or nervous about attending an eye appointment at one of the clinics, and will do their very best to help make the visit as stress free as possible.


If you are visiting an eye clinic at the Maidstone Hospital, contact Fran Smith on 07872 418002 or at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


If you are visiting the West Kent Eye Centre at the Princess Royal University Hospital or the Queen Mary Hospital eye clinic, why not give Chris Wilsdon on 07795 558560 or email him at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Hospital based eye care staff

Hospital based eye care services are led by Ophthalmologists. Ophthalmologists are doctors who specialise in the treatment of eye disease. Their primary role is to treat eye disease medically or surgically;  those who practice surgery are called Ophthalmic Surgeons. Patients attending an eye clinic may also be seen by Registrars, Senior House Officers or Associate Specialists.


Events Generic1

Wall of Thanks